2008 NVTA One Act Play Festival SummaryBy McCall Doyle • Jun 23rd, 2008 • Category: News, NVTA
The 2008 NVTA One Act Play Festival took place at the James Lee Community Center in Falls Church, Virginia, from June 13 through the awards ceremony on June 22. The professional judges (from The American Century Theatre in Arlington), were Rhonda Hill, Stephen Jarrett, and John Moran.
Twenty-seven years ago, NVTA was founded by Bruce Follmer (President Emeritus), an area actor and director who is still heavily involved in the festival today. The festival would not be possible without the support of Anita Gardiner (Current President), Peggy Jones (Vice President), Don Wilson (Secretary) and Gavin Tameris (Treasurer & Box Office Manager), or the talent & dedication of Co-Producers Deb Crawford and Zina Bleck. Mary Brick assumed the all-important role of festival Time Keeper this year, Adrienne Showker was the Reception Coordinator, and the technical aspects of the festival were brilliantly handled by Nancy Owens (Lighting) and David Sher (Sound).
There were 11 entries in the festival, with an unprecedented seven original entries! The shows touched on a wide range of topics, from a May-December romance to a bumbling burglar and victim in a panic room, five women learning about self-defense, the broad spectrum of relationships (former lovers, fathers & daughters, betrayed spouses, and coworkers) to a brave spoof of the NVTA Festival Adjudication itself.
A treat this year was the rarely-seen entry of an original one act musical, Believing Ruth, performed by Dominion Stage. The show featured strong singers and a lovely score (book and lyrics by Jessie Roberts and music by Larry Zimmerman) and was a worthy effort.
Overall, the festival itself enjoyed the efficiency of great teamwork, full and responsive audiences, and made for two weekends of truly entertaining theatre.
Congrats to all involved!
Best Supporting Actor
- Kevin Walker – The Open Meeting – Castaways (winner)
- Creg Crowe – The Open Meeting – Castaways
Best Supporting Actress
- Kelly Glyptis – Believing Ruth – Dominion Stage
- Jennifer Lambert – Believing Ruth – Dominion Stage
- Joanna Edie – The Art of Self Defense – Zoon Vader (winner)
- Jennifer Speerstra – The Art of Self Defense – Zoon Vader
- Teddy Gron – Solitaire – Little Theatre of Alexandria
- Greg Powell – See You on the Outside – Prince William Little Theater (winner)
- McCall Doyle – The Typists – Fauquier (winner)
- Ellen McKinstry – The Open Meeting – Castaways
- Liz Couchman – The Art of Self Defense – Zoon Vader
- Sallie Willows – The Typists – Fauquier
- Liz Owens – Solitaire – Little Theatre of Alexandria (winner)
Best Production of an Original Play
- See You on the Outside – Prince William
- Lizard Brains – Silver Spring Stage (winner)
- Solitaire – Little Theatre of Alexandria
Best Overall Production
- The Typists – Fauquier
- The Open Meeting – Castaways (winner)
- The Art of Self Defense – Zoon Vader
“Judge’s Discretionary Awards”
- Zoon Vader – The Art of Self Defense – received two awards for the Best Voice Over and and Best Ensemble
- OutOftheBlackBox – Double Play – received a best Play Within a Play (or “Playlet”) for the first play within Double Play entitled Then, Now, Me
This article can be linked to as: http://washingtondc.showbizradio.com/goto/2345.