Pickwick Players Crazy For YouBy Laura & Mike Clark • May 11th, 2009 • Category: Reviews
River Bend Middle School, Sterling, VA
$12/$10 Seniors and Students
Playing through May 16th
Reviewed May 9th, 2009
This is the Showbiz Radio review of Crazy For You, performed by Pickwick Players in Sterling, Virginia. We saw the performance on Saturday afternoon, May 9th. Unfortunately, we got lost on the way to the theater, so we missed the first 15 minutes of the show.
Crazy For You is a musical with music by George & Ira Gershwin and book by Ken Ludwig. Crazy for You revolves around Bobby Child and his dream of being a member of the Zangler Follies. His banker job takes him to Deadrock, Nevada where he falls in love and decides to put on a show as a fundraiser to save the town’s theater.
The Crazy for You cast was very energetic, with lots of large dance numbers. The acting and singing were hampered by technical problems. This production met at a middle school with a large auditorium. The stage was crowded at times, but well distributed with action happening all around, even on the floor in front of the stage. Christopher Tedrow‘s Bobby Child had a lot of dance numbers, which he performed well and with enthusiasm. Child’s love interest, the careworn Polly Baker, was played ably by Amanda Estep.
Unfortunately some of the technical aspects of the show were disappointing. The sound was really unpredictable, as actors would start speaking and then the microphone would be turned on. Teaching the actors to project their voices during non-singing portions of the show would be a huge improvement. The lighting was uneven, with most of the apron not lit at all. It would help if a spotlight were used to illuminate actors when they were downstage. These design decisions were a bit distracting, however they did not dampen the overall mood of the show. The orchestra, led by Stephan Knobloch, did not overpower the singers.
Crazy For You ran two hours and a half hours with one intermission. It is playing for one more weekend, Friday at 7:30PM, and Saturday at 2:00 and 7:30PM at River Bend Middle School in Sterling, Virginia.
Once you’ve seen Crazy For You please share your thoughts about it. We’d also like to invite you to join our free mailing list so you can stay informed with theater happenings in the DC region.
And now on with the show.
- Bobby Child: Christopher Tedrow
- Polly Baker: Amanda Estep
- Bella Zangler: Mark Thomas
- Irene Roth: Amanda Lipon
- Lank Hawkins: Andrew Curtin or Tim Silk
- Everett Baker: Jack Tenshaw
- Lottie Child: Michelle Detweiler
- Eugene Fodor: Sam McCrea
- Patricia Fodor: Jessica Mohr
- Tess: Charlotte Hays
- Patsy: Katie Ferrante
- Mitzi: Jennifer Anderson
- Perkins: Courtney Coombs
- Chauffeur: Maggie Panetta
- Bank Associates: Natalie Martell, Alison Lewis
- Follies Girls:
- Elaine: Lauren Hedrick
- Susie: Holly Wolking
- Perkins: Courtney Combs
- Sheila: Sarah Freeman
- Louise: Abigail Wolking
- Margie: Abby Middleton
- Betsy: Christine Detweiler, Michelle Detweiler
- Jimmy: Andrew Russell
- Custus: Court Thomas
- Junior: Reid Scholz
- Wyatt: Andrew McShea
- Moose: Michael Knoblach
- Billy: James Russell
- Pete: Matt Frederickson
- Ensemble: Laura Detweiler, Amy Freeman, Kathryn Detweiler, Alison Lewis, Maggie Panetta, Natalie Martell
- Children Tappers: Katherine Knobloch, Tabitha Clear, Jordan Williams, Brice Walker
- Producers: Trina Neel, Merilee Cummings
- Director: Michele Reynolds
- Asst. Director: Mark Thomas
- Choreographer: Tara Nicole Bunkall
- Asst. Choreographer: Amanda Estep
- Musical Director: Stephan Knobloch
- Lights: Andrew Curtin, Grace Offerman
- Sound: Kevin Cason, Trudi Hays, Trina Neel
- Stage Manager: Melinda Cummings
- Stage Crew: Nicole Shaw, Kerry Smith, Heather Cummings, Carly Vanness
- Costumes: Michelle Karren
- Publicity: Polly Middleton, Rick Ferrante, Karen Knobloch, Maryam McShea, Kelly Volles
- Box Office: Jill York, Kathie Rowley
- Set Boss: John Karren
- Set Design and Construction: John Karren, Scott Kerr, David Middleton, Rick & Katie Ferrante, Merilee & Melinda Cummings, Courtney & Melissa Coombs, Andrew & Maryam McShea, Nicole Shaw, Brandon Peterson, Amanda Lipon, Amanda Estep
- Piano: Logan Keating, Pat Avery
- Flute: Jessica Reh, Irene Nagley
- Trumpet: Dan Fairholm, Warren Cordes
- Percussion: Ryan Washington, Rob Reh
- Clarinet: Gary Shepherd
- Bass: Zach Hansen
This article can be linked to as: http://washingtondc.showbizradio.com/goto/3795.
Laura & Mike Clark started ShowBizRadio in August 2005 because they love live theater. They each have both performed in and worked behind the scenes in DC area productions, as well as earned a Career Studies Certificate in Theater from Northern Virginia Community College. Mike & Laura are each members of the American Theatre Critics Association, and Mike is a member of the Online News Association.